G3t Pr3m1um t0 h1d3 4ll 4ds
P0sts: 39   V1s1t3d by: 522 users

0r1g1n4l p0st

P0st3d by King Cow, 23.01.2011 - 08:24
I feel Master of stealth + marines is very unbalanced at the moment and I was wondering if anyone else agrees.

Lots of advantage, marines have 7 attack and 6 defence for a low cost of 140 and low skill level to use. To compare with Tank General a tank will have 7 attack and 5 defence for 130 and this is without the HUGE advantage of stealth.

This is especially bad as the sentry plane has a pretty small view range for detecting them and is very expensive so out of the question early game.

Often you do not realise you are playing a marine player untill its already to late, its almost impossable to defend against. If you do defend your capital you can not expand nearly as quckly and if you do not defend he can just sneak in a stack of marines and be almost guaranteed to win. Not that even defending seems to help me much haha.
Attacking is also clearly a minefield because you never know how many units he has in his cap early game or if he has a stack nearby to counter attack.
You mostly have no idea which battles you can and can not win or where to defend. It takes all the stratagy out of the game when you can just ninja cap with a huge stack of marines.

Meanwhile it seems to me he has no real large disadvantage to deal with.

More and more people now use this stratagy which is clear sign that people know its the best to me. If I am just over reacting and anyone has any tips on how to defend/attack against a good player useing this strategy or if you agree please let me know because im out of ideas.
25.01.2011 - 14:41
Wr1tt3n by Amok, 25.01.2011 at 05:28

Wr1tt3n by Colt556, 25.01.2011 at 04:05

Reading your post, King, it made me think of changing Marines. Maybe instead of being equal to tanks (Honestly, they have almost the same attack and same defense)

Marines with Master Of Stealth:
6/6
Tanks with Tank General:
8/5

Don't look equal to me

Yeah well with that extra defense it's essentially 6/6 vs 7/5, close enough to being equal considering they're also invisible. All I can say is last night I was fighting a marine user, and the only times my tanks beat him is when they vastly outnumbered him.

I forgot to mention that he had put a bunch of upgrades into his marines as well, which more then likely played a crucial role. But that is also a problem since as far as I can see, tanks don't even get upgrades, so I don't even get the option to match a fully upgraded marine user. Only way to take on an upgraded marine user who's using MOS is to outnumber them two to one with tanks, and that's just bull.

As I said before, Marine's aren't a unique unit as is, they're "tank but stronger and are invisible", and as far as I'm aware that's not what this game wants. I'm glad to see others agreeing with my idea of making marines more hit-n-run and less "I'll go toe to toe with your tanks". Maybe with MOS give the marines equal attack to a tank, but say... 3 defense, squishy as hell but more then capable of dealing with militia and taking undefended towns.
L04d1ng...
L04d1ng...
25.01.2011 - 14:51
Please take a look at this:
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3082/battlecu.jpg

It's really frustrating to attack Hong Kong with 18 marines and still lose to 9 infantry. I'm not saying that it's always like that and that MOS is unplayable.
But I like that idea of high attack and low defense. Doesn't have to be 8 attack, 7 would be alright too.
L04d1ng...
L04d1ng...
25.01.2011 - 14:56
We can't come up with specifics since we don't know all the intricates of code, but I'm thinking a good ball-park would be a tanks offense, but half it's defense. The way marines SHOULD be played is you sneak them in past enemy lines, hit the undefended cities that only have a couple militia, and then run like hell. This will not only disrupt your enemies income, but force them to pull forces away from the front lines to retake those cities, allowing you to punch through with your main force.

Marines are suppose to be gurrelia warfare, hit-n-run saboteurs not stealth-tanks like they are now. They should complement your military by performing a unique function, not replace it by being better at the tank's role.
L04d1ng...
L04d1ng...
25.01.2011 - 14:57
Wr1tt3n by Colt556, 25.01.2011 at 14:41

Maybe with MOS give the marines equal attack to a tank, but say... 3 defense, squishy as hell but more then capable of dealing with militia and taking undefended towns.

I'd like to second Colt's suggestion, seems like it'd make marines more realistic. They should probably have a fast movement "speed" (not greater than the tank since it'd be comparing a motorized vehicle to a pair of legs) but still enough to "gtfo" in a worse case scenario.
L04d1ng...
L04d1ng...
26.01.2011 - 07:08
Marines are fine, all that needs to be adjusted is the stealth detection radius. In example, the scout plane is virtually useless, still they shouldn't be godly, but they should be able to pick up incoming troops that are one turn in range of a city its patrolling near.
L04d1ng...
L04d1ng...
26.01.2011 - 09:00
I'm not 100% sure but I think the radius has already been improved. It could just be my mind playing tricks with me.
L04d1ng...
L04d1ng...
26.01.2011 - 12:08
 Ivan (4dm1n)
Wr1tt3n by King Cow, 26.01.2011 at 09:00

I'm not 100% sure but I think the radius has already been improved. It could just be my mind playing tricks with me.

View range (and correspondingly detection radius) has indeed been increased for Marines, quite a while ago. So you can use your own Marines to effectively detect enemy's.
L04d1ng...
L04d1ng...
17.04.2012 - 09:20
Problem with stealth units like marines if you want to keep them in stealth mode, is their walking range
Marines walk as far as tanks, but if you want to hide them you have to move slow to reach enemy capital
The stealth planes have "mediumlong" walking/fly range but like any other planes they cant capture cities

A trick to detect marines and stealth planes are by using Sentry planes
They can detect enemy units that are stealthed

Place some sentry planes all over your empire

When detected stealted units; stealth units are low on defence so you will build Offensive trioops as well,
In other words; Stealth units weakness is and offensive tactic
L04d1ng...
L04d1ng...
17.04.2012 - 10:45
Bro, resurrecting a dead thread is not cool.
----
Wr1tt3n by Mahdi, 23.11.2013 at 20:30

I don't consider the phrase "massive fag" to be an insult. Mods did.
L04d1ng...
L04d1ng...
atWar

About Us
Contact

Pr1v4cy | T3rms 0f s3rv1c3 | B4nn3rs | Partners

Copyright © 2024 atWar. All rights reserved.

J01n us 0n

Spr34d th3 w0rd